When you or a loved one begin your search for a memory care community, you may be bombarded with opinions on what you should look for, what community is best and why you should or shouldn’t choose a certain type of community. But which opinions are valid? Who should you listen to? It’s important to keep an open mind and consider the opinions of others lightly. What one person experiences won’t necessarily be the same as what you will, just as the memory care community that fits someone else may not fit you. Memory care communities are certainly not one-size-fits-all, and it’s important to consider either you or your loved one’s personal preferences, likes and dislikes, as well as how the community makes you feel.
According to Alison Wall, Senior Living Consultant at TreVista Antioch, an assisted living and memory care community in Antioch, CA, with all the opinions and information about memory care communities, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. “Many seniors and their families ask close family and friends about their opinions on communities, but if no one they know has experience with memory care, they may turn to the Internet,” says Alison. “This can either help or hurt them. The Internet provides a wide range of information, both from professionals and those with experience in memory care, but while it may be beneficial to do your online research, it may end up making you more confused and lost. If this is the case, it’s important to realize that you should search for trustworthy and expert sources, such as doctors, the Alzheimer’s Association® and memory care experts from senior living communities such as TreVista Antioch. These sources can help you realize what’s important to find in your search for the right memory care community while allowing you peace of mind knowing you are making the right choice based on facts and informed research.”
When listening to the opinions of others, you may get so wrapped up that you forget what you or your loved one would like in a memory care community. To ensure you make the right choice, visit an array of communities. Don’t limit yourself to those labeled “good” from friends, family and the Internet. Instead, give them a chance and see how you feel about each. By not giving each an equal chance, you are doing yourself or your loved one a disservice, as the community you don’t look at because of other people’s opinions may actually have been the community to meet all of your needs and desires.
Expert Tips to Help You Choose the Right Memory Care Community
To help make your search for a memory care community easier, consider some of TreVista’s expert tips.
- Consider location. If you or your loved one thrive in an area that offers plenty to do and potential for outings, don’t choose a community that is in a rural area, even if it comes highly recommended. It’s likely that you will regret that choice and become restless and bored, especially if their programming isn’t up to par.
- Choose an engaging lifestyle. It may not seem crucial, but it’s very important to choose a memory care community that provides its residents with an engaging and active lifestyle, even in spite of memory loss. Choose a community with programming that caters to your preferences and desires, find clubs that include your favorite hobbies and try new hobbies to learn something new. It’s important to spend time connecting with others and discovering new experiences.
- Meet the team. Do you see team members assisting residents compassionately? Do they appear friendly and comfortable with each other? If so, it’s a good indicator that the team members get to know each resident personally. Don’t forget to ask what their training includes and if you or a loved one will be assigned your own specific care team.
- Talk to the residents. Ask the residents what complaints they have about the community. Do they seem generally pleased and happy with the community’s offerings? What about their levels of care? If the bulk of the residents you ask have good things to say, it’s a good sign the community is making residents happy.
- Try out the dining. While you might not find this to be a big deal, the meals the community offers are a big part of your everyday life there. Stay for a meal, see what they offer and ask residents if they generally like the meals. You’ll be eating there each day, so this is important.
- Ask about pricing. Although you or your loved one may not need a high level of care right now, it doesn’t mean that you won’t in the future. It’s important to plan ahead for this because costs could increase drastically if you aren’t careful. Be sure to ask what is included in care, if different stages of care cost more and how much. This can help keep you from choosing a memory care community that’s a costly mistake.
For more information from our experts about choosing the right memory care community for you or your loved one, please call the team at TreVista Antioch. We’d be happy to help you distinguish what is important to look for in memory care and make this process less stressful and painstaking for you. Call us today at 925•329•6292.
Making the everyday extraordinary.
Family-owned and operated, Agemark Senior Living is the new owner of TreVista Antioch. Known for creating warm, welcoming communities, vibrant lifestyles and engaging programming, Agemark has been one of the most premier and trusted senior living providers since 1987. As Agemark’s newest community, TreVista Antioch is located on 10 acres in a prime location close to shopping and local attractions, as well as the great outdoors. Our beautiful community features a personalized, resident-centric approach to care that provides support, all while helping residents live full, connected lives.
At TreVista Antioch, we provide assisted living and memory care set in a beautiful environment that not only meets our residents’ needs but makes them, as well as their families, feel more at home. Although our gorgeous community is a plus, we truly believe it’s our programming and caring, dedicated staff that makes TreVista home. With our family-oriented inspiration and resident-centric approach, our residents flourish and experience days full of joy and meaning. Our staff learns each resident’s likes and dislikes and their values and pasts, right down to the dreams they never thought they could accomplish, in order to customize their care and make their dreams a reality.
LifeCycles wellness programming encourages our residents to connect, engage and enjoy life, every day. Our LifeCycles programming is designed to focus on the four dimensions of wellness: physical, social, spiritual and intellectual. This is achieved through a wide range of daily activities and routines, from outings and excursions to local events and programming at the community. At TreVista Antioch, our residents have the tools and care they need to make each day fulfilling, engaging and vibrant. Contact us to learn more!
Call us at 925•237•1952 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.
TreVista Antioch is part of the Agemark family of senior living communities.